Last week, I wrote about how I implemented my own static site generator, using a makefile. At the same time, I redesigned the site, as previously it used the Hyde theme for sites built using Jekyll. In redesigning it, I aimed to make the site as simple as possible without making it unpleasant to read or navigate.
It took a few iterations before I settled on the current structure of the website. Initially, I was planning on having separate pages for my work experience, projects, and blog, just as I had on the old version of the site. That changed when I came across Vatsal Ambastha’s blog while browsing Brutalist Websites for inspiration. Reading it, I realized that there was no reason not to put all of the information about myself, along with links to blog posts, on the landing page. After all, I don’t have that much content I want to include. This structure is simpler, easier to navigate, and less cluttered with links.
Things Left to Do
There are a couple more ideas to improve the site that I’m toying with, too:
- Tagging posts by subject. If this were implemented, it could be easier to find the posts you’re interested in, but I don’t think that’s too difficult to do now, given the current number of posts. Tags would also add to clutter. I will keep this in mind as a possibility in the future.
- Add permalinks to headings within pages. This would make it easier to share specific parts of posts, but I don’t see a need for that coming up too often. I also don’t have an elegant way of implementing it given the current system for generating the site, so I’m going to hold off on this for now as well. If you really need a link to a certain heading, convert the heading title to lower-case, remove punctuation, and replace spaces with hyphens to get the section ID. Then you can append the ID after a
#to the URL to get a link to the heading.